How much energy does the washing machine consume
What does consumption depend on?
A modern automatic washing machine is a sophisticated multifunctional device that heats water, washes clothes, squeezes it and drains the water. And some models also dry it. Therefore, let's figure out what the most shaking lights in the washing machine.
The energy consumption of a washing machine is affected by:
- Electric motor It rotates the drum through a belt or direct drive. On modern devices use commutator or brushless motors (on inverter models). Its power consumption is in the range of 400-800 W and depends on the specific machine model and drum loading (not significantly).
- Power TENA - heats water. Its power is about 2 kW.
- A water drain pump is approximately 40 watts.
- The standby control system is 3–10 watts.
As you can see, the main energy consumption of the washing machine is accounted for by the drum drive and electric heater (TEN), but they do not work all the time, but periodically. But to add the above power in watts and multiply by the time to get the consumption per hour, it will be the wrong solution for the calculations.
The fact is that during washing the machine consumes different power, it depends on the operating mode, engine speed. In addition, the water is not heated continuously, but for a certain time. After heating the water to the indicated temperature, the heater is turned off.
3 main factors affect how much the machine actually consumes per 1 wash cycle:
- Water temperature.
- The number of revolutions during the spin cycle.
- Drum loading.
Energy efficiency classes
Average power consumption is indicated on the sticker, which is usually placed on the front panel. It uses the color marking and letters of the Latin alphabet to indicate the energy class. The letters from A to G are used, and each letter has its own color: A - green, G - red.
Here, the letter A stands for the most energy-efficient appliances. In simple terms, those with the smallest power consumption. On models released after 2010, one to three “+” characters are added to the letter A. The more “pluses” - the less you pay for the light.
In addition to the energy efficiency class, the label indicates:
- how much the washing machine consumes per year or per washing cycle, in kW * h;
- noise level during washing and spinning in dB;
- maximum load of linen in kg.
Note: the term “one cycle” means the time from the start of washing to the end of the spin.
The video below clearly shows how much electricity the washing machine consumes in one wash:
How to calculate power consumption
Measurements show that the power consumption of the washing machine:
- During washing is in the range of 400-800 watts.
- When heating water, the energy consumption can exceed 2 kW (kilowatts), for some models it can reach 2.9 kW, and this is 2900 watts.
As already mentioned, the higher the energy class, the less electricity is consumed. Depending on the class, model, load, mode and temperature for the washing cycle, it is consumed from 300–1600 W / h, in kW it is 0.3–1.6 kWh; the washing machine consumes electricity for one wash. In this case, the maximum consumption will be for large models with a load of 6-7 kg with drying will be even more than 1.6 kW * h.
For example, models with a load of 5 kg consume up to 0.8 kWh per wash - take this value as an average of 1 kWh for a single-meter meter in Moscow and costs 5.38. It means that for one wash you will pay 4.3 rubles.
Now let's talk about how much the washer consumes per day, month and year. For calculations, we average that you have 40 washings per month. Based on the foregoing, we average both the cost of washing and the energy consumption of 0.8 kW and 4.3 rubles.
Suppose you wash on average 3 times a week, and do up to 3 washes per day. Then a month you wash 12 days and do 36 washings.
Then in a month you wind:
0.8 * 36 = 28.8 kWh
In a year:
36 * 12 * 0.8 = 345.6 kWh
How to save electricity
In conclusion, we will give 3 tips for saving energy consumption by the washing machine:
- Load the car completely. Do not wash one T-shirt. Electricity consumption will be almost the same as with a full load.
- Less spin speed. It is not necessary to set the maximum spin speed without an objective reason for this. At high speeds, the engine consumes a little more current, and not all things can be squeezed at that speed. This also applies to water temperature, it is not necessary to set the maximum, most spots are removed and in warm water. It is better to pre-soak particularly dirty laundry.
- Clean the machine at least once every six months. Ten in the scale heats the water longer, which means you pay more for it. Use special products or think of the folk method of cleaning tena with citric acid. Pour 200 grams of citric acid dissolved in warm water into an empty washing machine instead of powder and turn on the washing mode at maximum temperature.
Now you know how much energy a washing machine consumes and how much it will have to pay in rubles for a month and a year. We hope the provided calculations and tips were useful to you!