VVGng cable specifications
What does the labeling mean?
First of all, it is necessary to bring to your attention the decoding of the marking of the conductor.
So, the abbreviation allows us to understand the following characteristics:
- “A” is absent at the beginning, which means that the cores are copper;
- the first “B” is the core insulation material, in this case PVC (polyvinyl chloride);
- the second "B" is the material of the outer shell, which in this case is, again, PVC;
- "G" - allows us to understand that there is no additional protection for the conductor;
- the prefix “ng” means that the cable is flame retardant.
It should also be noted that there are modern modifications of this conductor with the prefix “ng-LS” - means reduced smoke and gas, “ng-HF” - does not emit corrosive gaseous products during combustion. In turn, these two modifications have their own improvement - fire resistance, the designation of which is the code "FR". As a result, the product may have the following marking - “VVGng-FRLS”, which will not be difficult to decipher.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with decoding the marking of wires and cables!
Difference from the basic version
Very often, novice electricians ask the question of what is the difference between VVGNG and VVGNG-LS and the traditional version - VVG.
Based on the above markings, you can easily answer this question, namely:
- VVG - does not have any fireproof and self-extinguishing properties, ordinary PVC insulation.
- VVGng - the insulating layer contains halogen chemical elements, the purpose of which is to impede the combustion process.
- VVGNG-LS - when creating a sheath of current-carrying conductors, halogen-free polyvinyl chloride is used, which practically does not emit smoke during combustion.
For home conditions, and especially if you decide to exercise installation of electrical wiring in a wooden houseBe sure to purchase the latest option, as the most secure.
So, let's move on to the most interesting important part of the article - an overview of the technical characteristics of the VVGng cable.
A conductor can consist of either one or several cores, up to five. In the abbreviation, the number of cores can be determined by the first digit.In turn, the veins can have both round and sector shapes (a visual difference between the two types in the picture).
Another feature of current-carrying conductors, they can be multi-wire or single-wire, class 1 and 2 according to GOST 22483.Wire color coding can be represented by full coloring of the insulation or partial - a strip 1 mm wide along the conductor. The colors of the core wires of the VVGNG cable comply with all modern standards. If the cable is multi-core, the grounding contact may have a smaller cross-section than all others.
As for the weight of the VVGng cable, it differs depending on the overall cross section. The mass of 1 km of cable varies from 28.5 to 10256 kg.
You can see a description of all weight values in more detail in the table:
The outer diameter of the cores, or rather, the cross-section of the VVGng cable can be from 1.5 to 240 mm2. All existing sizes and nomenclature we have provided in the table:
In the apartment and at home, the following VVGng cable sizes are most often used:
- for sockets - at least 2.5 mm2
- for lighting not less than 1.5 mm2
- for connecting powerful household appliances separately from the junction box - at least 4 mm2
For the correct choice of diameter, it is recommended that calculation of cable cross-section by power and current. The formulas are quite simple and at the same time, the calculation work will not take you more than 5 minutes.
Technical and operational indicators
The main parameters of the VVGNG power cable are:
- rated (working) voltage 660V and 1000V;
- frequency of 50 Hz;
- long permissible temperature to which the conductors can be heated during operation - not higher than 70aboutC. In this case, not more than 4 seconds, the cores may be heated to 250aboutC (for example, with a short circuit). Combustion occurs at temperatures above 400aboutWITH;
- the operating temperature of the VVGng cable can vary from -50 to +50aboutC, this despite the fact that the humidity does not exceed 98%;
- laying conditions at an ambient temperature not lower than -15aboutWITH;
- emergency operation no more than 8 hours a day, while for the entire period of use no more than 1000 hours;
- construction length: 450 m with a cross section of 16 mm2, 300 m at 25-70 mm2 and 200 m if the product is with a diameter of 95 mm2 and more;
- the smallest permissible bending radius is 7.5 dimensions of the total cross-section for a single-core conductor and 10 sizes for a multi-core;
- insulation resistance 12 MOhm / km at a temperature of 20aboutC and cross section 1.5 mm2. With a diameter of 4-5 mm2 resistance is 10 MOhm / km, at 6-9 mm2 - 9 MOhm / km, and if the cross section is more than 10 mm2, then the resistance does not exceed 0, 005 MΩ / km;
- the service life of the product is 30 years, while the warranty period is up to 5 years, and if stored improperly, up to two years.
Here, in fact, are all the most important technical characteristics of the VVGng cable, which you should know about at the stage of choosing a conductor for laying it in the house and on the street.
Based on the above operating conditions and characteristics, it can be seen that the cable can be used in both industrial and domestic needs. As for the latter, here you should once again draw your attention to the fact that this conductor is the most optimal option for home wiring.
We recommend using it in the following cases:
- at installation of wiring in the bathroom;
- in the ledge of a plasterboard ceiling;
- under the wooden wall cladding;
- for outdoor (street) laying.
As for the method of wiring, you can choose both hidden and open line laying. In the latter case, it is better to place the conductor in the cable channel or corrugation.
We draw your attention to the fact that it is extremely not recommended to lay the VVGNG cable in the ground, becauseTo do this, it is better to use an armored version, which provides reliable protection against rodents and mechanical damage.
Among manufacturers it is very difficult to determine which is better, because fakes can be found at every step. We recommend that you whenever possible give preference to such plants as VVGNG cable manufacturers such as Kolchuginsky Zavod, Energokabel, Podolskabel, Sevkabel and Moskabel.
For a lot of negative customer reviews, the products of the Oryol cable factory are better to be re-checked, because very often the labeling values are not true. To independently verify the quality, it is recommended that you read the instructions for do-it-yourself cable cross-section. And finally, I would like to note that it is better to compare prices on the Internet on the official websites of the company so as not to run into a fake, which will cost lower than the original cost of the VVGng cable.