The best options for heating a wooden house with electricity
Advantages and disadvantages of the system
Today, the use of electric heaters is gaining more and more popularity. In a wooden house, this option is most relevant only if there is no gas on the site (there is no main).
The advantages of electric heating are as follows:
- With the correct location of electric heaters, the efficiency of the system will be several times higher than with the stove or water version (you can see this advantage in the schematic diagram below).
- The absence of harmful emissions into the atmosphere (in contrast to the furnace version), in addition, there is no need to install a chimney.
- Ease of installation (e.g. install electric boiler or an infrared heater can easily do it yourself).
- A modern approach to management (the use of electronic temperature controllers and other devices that make the electric heating system in a wooden house fully automatic).
- Repair of an electric heating system is extremely rare, especially if all the devices are manufactured by quality manufacturers.
- Lack of need for storage of firewood, coal or other types of fuel.
- Cost-effectiveness of the system (we will talk about this below).
- The absence of radiators and pipes throughout the room, which positively affects the installation speed of the system, as well as the interior of all rooms.
- Compact electric heaters.
- Electric heating in a wooden house can be used as the main or backup.
As for the shortcomings, the main ones are:
- The electricity supply to the house can often be turned off for repairs and maintenance (especially in remote areas of the city). No electricity - no heat.
- Need diesel generator installation, which will allow for some time to get out of the situation described above. The cost of this unit is quite high.
- Without the use of multi-tariff meters and other devices allowing save electricity, the system will cost you much more than alternative options.
- Electric heaters, especially infrared, are fire hazardous devices. There are many requirements for their connection and installation site.
You can see how one of the options for electric heating in a wooden house looks like in a visual video example:
As we already said, when connecting electric heating in a wooden house, it is necessary to adhere to several important requirements, namely:
- When heated, the wood can dry out and crack, so avoid direct heat flux on the walls and ceiling. It is best to direct the devices to the floor and to the center of the room.
- If you decide to use radiators, their installation in a wooden house also has features. Over time, wood shrinks. If you do not provide for the construction of the house special compensators on the risers, during shrinkage, the heating main may be broken and malfunction.
- The power cable from which the electric boiler (or boiler) will be powered must withstand the current loads with a margin. Otherwise, ignition may result from spontaneous combustion of the wiring. To prevent this from happening, make calculation of cable cross-section by power.
- When using UV rays, place them in such a way as to prevent direct (or very close) contact of the heating element with other objects.
Heating system options
It is impossible not to say which heaters can be used to install heating in a wooden house with your own hands. Let us consider in detail the most effective and familiar options for all.
- The use of water heating, in which heating occurs by an electric boiler. The option is the most popular, but not the best in terms of effectiveness. The disadvantage is that you still have to mount the pipe line, especially as you saw in the diagram, the batteries warm the room up not very efficiently (warm air rises).
- Using a boiler for heating. You will be surprised, but such a system is also popular and has proven itself very well, judging by the reviews of its owners. The main requirement - the heating system should be simple, and the area of the room is small. By the way, in this case, a storage type boiler is used, not a flow type one.
- Connecting infrared heaters wall and ceiling type. This variant of electric heating of a wooden house is more effective, a picture was shown in which it is clearly visible that warm air is sent from top to bottom, thereby warming up the entire room. In addition, in this case, installation work is minimized, because all kinds of pipes and radiators will be absent.
- Installation of "warm floor". This system is an innovation in the world of electric heating. Warm floor quite effective, economical, and most importantly - safe to operate. The only drawback is the complexity of installation work, but still the end justifies the means. How to do warm floor in a wooden house, we told in a separate article, where various installation schemes were also provided.
- The use of oil coolers. It can be used as a backup option or auxiliary. Using oil radiators as the main heating will hit your wallet too much, because for the whole wooden house, at least 1 pc. / room will be required, and the price for electricity today is quite high.
In addition to the above options for equipment for electric heating in a wooden house, electroconvectors can also be used. How to choose the right electric convector, we already told you. Our advice - give preference to the combined option. It is best to heat a country house made of wood with a boiler or IR heaters in combination with the Warm Floor system, as shown in the photo below!
How can I save?
So, you have decided on the option of electric heating of a wooden house, now you need to choose the right equipment and calculate the project so that all the elements are involved as efficiently as possible.
First of all, correctly calculate the power of the equipment. It is believed that for 1 m3 of the insulated room, sufficient thermal power is 30 W (for unheated 41 W). Such a calculation is simplified; for a better calculation, it is recommended to use special formulas and programs that can easily be found on the Internet.
Next, make sure that all heaters have a temperature controller. This device will allow you to set the optimal temperature in the room. As a result, electric heating of a wooden house will not be so expensive. Another important tip - get two-tariff electricity meter, we talked about its advantages in the article that we referred to.
Well, the last thing I wanted to note is to make sure that the house is properly insulated. All cracks under the windows and the gaps in the doorway must be repaired. The tree itself is a heat-consuming material, therefore, a qualitatively insulated building will allow at least 2 times reduction in energy consumption.
As you can see, the connection of electric heating in a wooden house may be the right decision, the main thing is not to make a mistake in choosing equipment. Once again, we draw your attention to the fact that if there is a gas pipeline passing near the house, it is better to overpay and connect the gas once. Cheaper than this option, today nothing can be offered!
In the end, we recommend watching another useful video on the topic:
We hope that this material was useful to you.