Choosing a quality refrigerator for the home - what to look for?
To get started, briefly consider the most important criteria for choosing a refrigerator for the home. So, the first thing you should decide before buying is:
- Dimensions of equipment. There are one-, two-, three-, four-, five- and even six-chamber models. As a rule, each manufacturer has their own sizes of products, but all of them are close to standards and can differ by no more than 5-10 cm. measure this place with a tape measure and, on the basis of the measurements obtained, select the appropriate option for height, width and depth. Two-chamber units are considered the most popular, in them a freezer and a refrigerator are similar. They are already followed by Side-by-Side, single-chamber, and then multi-chamber.
- Camera locations. Everyone is accustomed to the freezer being at the bottom, however, there are models with the top location of the freezer. It happens without her at all, so when choosing, pay attention to this moment. We also advise you to consider the ratio of the chambers, it happens that the freezer is almost the same as the refrigerator. This is very convenient for those who want to pick up a device with a large freezer.
- Useful volume. To choose the volume of a refrigerator you need to know one simple thing - for two people a 180 liter device will be enough. For a family of 3 people, you can buy a 250-liter model, and if you have a large family (for 5-6 people), we recommend that you choose equipment with a useful volume of 350 liters or more. Do not forget about the dimensions, the volume of the camera directly affects the dimensions of the case.
- Type of defrosting and freezing. We will not go into details, but only highlight the most important information for you. Freezing can be thermoelectric (silent), absorption (more noisy) and with the help of compressors (the highest noise level). In turn, defrosting can be manual (as before, unplug the equipment from the network, wait until the cameras defrost, then wash the walls and wipe it dry), drip (moisture drains into the pan on the back wall) and No Frost (know-how frost) . More often than not, all customers find it difficult to decide which refrigerator is best for their home - with drip defrosting or know-how frost.If you do not often defrost the device, we recommend choosing a more modern and reliable No Frost system. In turn, the drip system belongs to the economy class, therefore, the equipment will cost less.
- Climate class. The choice depends on the operating conditions of the unit, as well as the temperature in the region in which you are located. The most popular climate classes are presented in the table below. You need to select the appropriate temperature range for your own conditions.
- Energy class. If you want to choose an economical refrigerator for the home, pay attention to its energy class. The lowest class (i.e. economical) is A +++. Further alphabetically and the number of pluses are units with higher power consumption (A ++, A +, A, B, etc.).
- Functions. You must understand that the more versatile the refrigerator you want to choose, the correspondingly more you will have to pay. We recommend that you select the least “sophisticated” device for your summer residence. But in an apartment or a house you can already spend money on a model that has, in addition to standard functions (for example, temperature settings), an open door indicator, superfreezing, an ice maker, long-term storage of products, quick cooling and freezing of products, antibacterial protection, etc.
- Compressor type. In 2017, it is already better to choose a refrigerator with an inverter compressor, as it is more economical, quiet and also durable. The only thing the inverter is afraid of power surges, therefore, you will additionally need to protect the equipment installing a voltage stabilizer in the house.
- Number of compressors. In inexpensive refrigerators, there is one compressor, better models have 2 compressors, which are better because they are cheaper in terms of repair, more economical and also allow you to turn off one chamber (for washing or something else), while the second one will work.
- Control method. Electromechanical control is more reliable and also cheaper. Electronic allows you to more accurately adjust the temperature regime, so it is better in terms of the comfort of using equipment. Most modern models are equipped with electronic control.
- Noise level. One of the most important parameters, as almost everyone wants to choose a silent refrigerator, and at the same time, to be inexpensive, but of high quality. In this regard, our recommendation as an expert is to opt for equipment with a noise level below 40 dB. With this indicator, the device will work in quiet mode.
We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the basic rules for choosing a refrigerator:
These are all tips on choosing the right technical specifications for refrigerators. Below we will consider the little things that you should pay attention to before buying.
What else to look for?
So, in order to choose a really good unit for the home, we recommend that you consider the following nuances:
- Shelves must be glass. Transparent glass allows you to quickly find the right products in the refrigerator.
- Seals around the door perimeter should be flexible, fit well when closed. Before choosing the option you like, make sure that there are no damage, otherwise you will encounter a problem such as the refrigerator is constantly working and does not turn off.
- From the new refrigerator and freezer should not stink of cheap plastic. An unpleasant odor indicates a low quality of plastic, and, accordingly, the dubious reliability of the manufacturer.
- Handles recessed in the door save a little space. This is especially true if you want to install fridge in a small kitchen.
- Many models, especially those from Liebher, have the option of hanging the doors to the other side. It is very convenient, especially when moving in a house.
- Make sure that the legs are on castors (must be at least 2). This design option will make it easier to transport equipment from place to place, simply by tilting the case.
- Built-in models are well suited if you do not want to spoil the interior of the kitchen.
- There are many color schemes for refrigerators.You can always choose the appropriate design to match the kitchen. In addition, there are designer models that will become the highlight of the interior.
If you do not know which brand of refrigerator is the most reliable and durable, we recommend that you think about purchasing products from one of the following companies:
- Hotpoint-Ariston (Ariston)
Of the domestic brands involved in the production of household refrigerators, I would like to advise a Russian company Biryusa (Biryusa), as well as Belarusian Atlant. If you want to choose an inexpensive but good refrigeration unit for the home, pay attention to these brands. In addition, Atlant in the Russian market accounts for more than 20% of sales, which is a leading indicator. Learn more about rated manufacturers of refrigerators in quality and reliability You can in our corresponding article.
Well, we finish our tips on the list of the best models. Several ratings will be provided, which will allow you to choose an option for your own conditions, so to speak, within reason.
The best single-chamber refrigerators for home:
- Korting KS 50 HW
- Hansa FM050.4
- Liebherr Tsl 1414
- SUPRA TRF-030
All of them are small and also cost up to 20,000 (or even up to 15 thousand). The choice of a single-chamber model is appropriate for a summer residence or office.
Of the two-chamber units, I would like to advise for home use:
- Liebherr CUag 3311
- Bosch KGN39SB10
- LG GA-B489 TGRF
- Samsung RB-30 J3000WW
- Gorenje NRK 6191 MC
- Indesit DF 4160 W
- ATLANT MXM 2835-08
- Korting KSI 17875 CNF
As we said, two-door models are the most popular and also practical. An excellent option, which is recommended to choose for the house and apartment. If you try, you can pick up a good unit up to 50,000.
As for models like Side-by-side, in this regard, the best in 2017 are:
- Samsung RH-60 H90203L
- Liebherr SBS 7212
- Vestfrost VF 395-1 SBS
- Bosch KAN58A55
- Samsung RS-552 NRUASL
Some of the models provided in the TOP cost less than 100 thousand, so even from multi-chamber refrigerators you can try to choose a budget one, while being optimal in price and quality.
Well, the last rating is for built-in models, which are usually selected as two-chamber. So, the following were included in the list of the best:
- LG GR-N309 LLB
- Korting KSI 17875 CNF
- Whirlpool ART 9810 / A +
- Siemens KI87SAF30
- Liebherr ICBS 3214
Please note that our 2017 refrigerator rating is independent. It was compiled on the basis of ratings and reviews of specialists, as well as buyers. If you want to make your opinion about the quality and reliability of these models, we recommend creating a theme in our forum section, which was created for refrigerators and everyone who wants to leave a review.
Finally, we recommend that you watch a video in which the home appliance repair technician gives his opinion on the right choice of appliances:
That's all I wanted to tell you about how to choose a refrigerator and which brand is durable. We hope that the provided expert advice and videos were useful to you!
Interesting materials on the topic: