Rules for installing a built-in refrigerator in the kitchen
In the case when the refrigerator is designed as built-in, its installation is carried out in a special case, which is part of the kitchen furniture set and made in the same style. On the front side, the case is equipped with a front door, which is usually mechanically connected to the refrigerator door, that is, when the case is opened, the built-in refrigerator opens. There are simpler models of pencil cases, the doors of which open regardless of what is inside the device. In such an embodiment, the housing is defined as partially embedded. Consider several important points that you have to deal with when installing on your own.
First, let's talk about the design of a pencil case (cabinet) or a niche. This product can be part of a set of kitchen furniture, can be custom made or made independently. In any case, the design of the pencil case should provide heat removal from the working unit, for which the following conditions must be met:
- Installation is carried out so that between the upper, lower and side walls of the cabinet and the refrigerator there is a gap of a few centimeters to ensure normal air circulation.
- The back of the pencil case (cabinet) must be open.
- At the bottom of the cabinet should be provided with a shelf equipped with ventilation holes.
Now let's talk about where to install the built-in refrigerator. In this matter, you should be guided by the general rules of placement, as prescribed by the instruction manual for the refrigeration unit. If the enclosure is built in, the following requirements must be met:
- A pencil case (cabinet) must be placed in such a way that the installation of the refrigerator in the cabinet ensures that there is a distance of several centimeters between the back of the unit and the wall of the room.
- The chosen placement should ensure unhindered opening of the doors to the maximum angle.
- The open rear of the cabinet should not be adjacent to radiators or other heat sources.
The photo below shows the appearance of the built-in refrigerator located in the kitchen:
Before you install the set of furniture in the kitchen, you need to decide where the built-in refrigerator will be connected.It is best for this purpose to install a separate electrical outlet with a grounding contact, if necessary, install the wires from the electrical panel or junction box. The conductor cross section must be selected in accordance with the electrical load power. If a group of outlets is mounted and it is planned to install and connect several electrical appliances, for example, a built-in refrigerator, hob and oven, then when choosing the cross section of the supply wires, their total power should be taken into account. The location of the outlet (or outlets) is best chosen so as not to occupy the exposed parts of the wall and at the same time ensure accessibility. For example, it is convenient to install sockets under the countertop, where they will not interfere, and the equipment can be easily turned off during its maintenance.
The diagram below shows the optimal installation locations for outlets in the kitchen:
General installation procedure
Below is an algorithm of the actions that you need to perform to install the built-in refrigerator yourself.
- If we are talking about replacing a used unit with a new one, carefully dismantle it and pull out the old equipment case from the cabinet.
- Unpack the new device, dismantle the transport hardware. It is understood that when choosing a new unit, the internal dimensions of the cabinet were taken into account, the fastening points of the refrigerator doors coincide with the facade, if provided.
- Before installing and connecting the unit to the power supply, we carry out a thorough inspection. After completing a test connection to the network, we make sure that the internal circuit of the device is working, the motor runs quietly and smoothly.
- If the cabinet layout is such that the door opening direction needs to be changed, door hinges are installed on the desired side.
- We install the built-in refrigerator in place. At this stage, in order to ensure optimal conditions for the operation of the unit and its silent operation in the future, you should use the level. Strictly vertical installation of the device is achieved by rotating the adjusting bolts located in the lower part of the housing.
- Sometimes, to fix the case in the right position, it is necessary to install small foam gaskets of suitable thickness, which can be discreetly placed in the gaps between the walls of the refrigerator and cabinet, closer to its rear.
- After that, the installation of the front panel of the cabinet can be performed. At the same time, installation of all provided mounting products is carried out, the operation of the doors and the stability of the entire structure are checked.
- This is followed by a connection to the mains and a final check of the product's operability.
In conclusion, I would like to add that the choice in favor of installation on your own is justified only if you have certain skills, because saving on the cost of work, you can lose much more.
The video clearly shows how to install the built-in refrigerator in the cabinet:
That's the whole step-by-step installation guide. As you can see, installing a built-in refrigerator is quite troublesome and requires some knowledge.
It will be useful to read: