How to connect a refrigerator - 15 useful tips
Option 1 - No additional communications
In this case, we mean the simplest technique that you just need to install and connect to the mains.
Instructions for properly connecting the refrigerator with your own hands consists of the following steps:
- We check the case of the product and the electric cord for defects and damage that could appear after transportation.
- We prepare a suitable place, which should be near the outlet, so as not to connect through an extension cord.
- We place the case at a distance of 10-15 cm from each of the walls (for air circulation).
- We twist the legs so that the body is in a strictly horizontal and vertical position (without distortions).
- We check according to the level the correctness of the installation work so that the case is level.
- We connect the cord to the network.
That's the whole technology of connecting a new refrigerator to the network with your own hands. As you can see, there is nothing complicated, and even a person who has not dealt with installation of household appliances.
Option 2 - With cold water connection
An ice maker is used to create ice, which can later be added to drinks. There are devices of bulk and stationary type.
In the first case, the design provides for a special tank into which pure water is poured (manually). To connect a refrigerator with a stationary ice maker, you need to bring the supply of cold water to the appropriate connector.
You can do it yourself in a short period of time. First you need to install a two-chamber refrigerator in a prepared place. After this, it is necessary to "crash" into the cold water supply line of a house (or apartment). Depending on the type of pipes used for water supply, the necessary materials are purchased: adapters, shut-off valve, couplings, filter, etc. After this, according to the diagram in the attached instructions, you must connect the communications to the housing, as shown in the photo.
In order for your equipment to last longer and at the same time effectively cool the products, we recommend that you consider the following tips when connecting the refrigerator yourself:
- Be sure to leave a gap between the wall and the unit body. In its absence, overheating may occur, which will entail the failure of the equipment (i.e.warm air will return back to the system). As we have already said, the minimum distance from the wall should be 10 cm.
- Please note that for some products the manufacturer provides special supports that create the necessary clearance during installation. Typically, this design option is represented by elongated side walls.
- A special filter for water purification can be included with the ice maker. It must be connected according to the instructions. If the kit does not include a filter, be sure to buy a suitable option in a plumbing store (the consultant will tell you which one to purchase). It’s quite simple to connect a household refrigerator through the filter yourself, you just need to fix the device on the wall and connect the cold water supply in front of the ice maker.
- To avoid overheating of the system, it is important to install the housing away from heating radiators and other objects that emit heat (for example, a gas stove). It is also forbidden to install and connect the refrigerator near the oven and on the heated floor (in tips for laying of a film heat-insulated floor this requirement was negotiated).
- Before connecting the refrigerator directly to the network, check the wiring and the outlet. If damage is present, replace all necessary items with new ones.
- Wiring must be with grounding, installation of equipment without grounding is prohibited.
- If there are significant voltage drops in the network, install surge protection device (for example, a stabilizer either voltage relay), which will protect your household appliances from premature failure.
- Choose the installation location so that there is no need to connect an extension cord. The cord must be enough to reach the outlet. Connecting the refrigerator through a power strip is not recommended because very often extension cords are of poor quality and melt even at low current loads.
- If it is not possible to put the refrigerator away from the oven, then heat transfer between the two products must be prevented with a plywood sheet.
- Small electric trick - To make the door easier to close, unscrew the front legs a little, so the case will be slightly “littered” back.
- You need to install the refrigerator strictly according to the level, so that in the future it does not make noise and does not hum during operation. If you do without a level, a slight bias is possible, which is one of the main reasons that the technique is noisy.
- If at choosing a refrigerator, You settled on the built-in housing, we recommend installing it in a cabinet in the kitchen. Such an idea will save space (if the kitchen is small) and at the same time make the interior more attractive, unless of course you have chosen a model with a designer case. Also, the built-in equipment (if the model is small and single-chamber), can be installed under the countertop, in one of the kitchen sections. In this case, no one will guess where your food is stored.
- If you decide to buy equipment with an ice generator, you must definitely connect the refrigerator to the water through a filter. Otherwise, the ice may be dirty because water in the pipeline is far from everywhere suitable for drinking.
- It is not recommended to place the equipment under the window, as in the summer heat, the sun's rays will heat the body, which also negatively affects the performance of the device, as well as placement on the balcony.
- After the first inclusion or defrosting, it is recommended to spread food inside the chamber after 3-4 hours of operation of the equipment.
That’s where our tips end, and now you know exactly how to connect the refrigerator to the water supply and network yourself! We also recommend that you watch visual video tutorials on how to independently connect the equipment.
Also watch the video, which more compactly describes the installation of the refrigerator after purchase and home delivery:
That's the whole manual for connecting the refrigerator to the mains and water with your own hands. As you can see, installing and connecting to communications is quite simple, the main thing is to consider all the nuances!