How to punish neighbors for the theft of electricity?
Methods for determining theft
So, if you are at least a little versed in electrics and know what wiring is, then first you need to make sure that the theft of electricity is still present. Otherwise, the problem will turn out to be different, for example, in the self-propelled gun of your meter, as a result of which relations with neighbors can unreasonably deteriorate. Understand that someone is stealing electricity in an apartment building or private house by the following method:
- Check the connection of the meter to the network, as well as the integrity of the seals. If you see that, for example, extra wires to the apartment go to the meter, or the wiring goes around the meter, or the phase and zero are reversed, it means that the neighbors steal electricity. Right single-phase meter connection diagram to the mains is as follows:
- Check if the light works when the circuit breakers in the switch are off. If there is such an opportunity, try turning off the machines and after that check the voltage in all outlets, as well as turn on all the lights. If the light comes on in some room or it turns out that there is power in the outlet, then the theft of electricity occurs, maybe even you have it. The fact is that in old prefabricated houses in adjacent rooms, outlets were installed between the apartments in a through hole. A tricky neighbor could plug into your outlet and steal electricity that you would pay for. That's it. Therefore, if you think that a roommate is stealing electricity from you, you must audit the wiring: Check all junction boxes and sockets so that there are no unnecessary connections.
- Check the condition of the radiators. A very popular way to unwind the meter is to ground through the risers of the battery. In this case, this will not be displayed on the readings of your electric meter, but there will be a more serious threat - the possibility of electric shock. If you electric shock in the bathroommost likely, they unwind electricity one floor higher or lower. If possible, check the condition of the batteries in these neighbors. To ground on the riser, it is necessary to clean the paint from it to metal. Now, if you find such a place, they most likely steal electricity through it.You can also use an indicator screwdriver to check if there is voltage on your battery to make sure that there is a problem.
- In the private sector, they often use a method of theft from the state, such as a dash on wires. It looks like in the photo below, so it will not be difficult to determine theft:
- Another way to calculate is to turn off all electrical appliances in the house from the outlet, and also turn off the lights. If at the same time the meter will wind, then something is wrong and you need to call an electrician to find the problem.
These are all the simplest ways to find out that your neighbors are stealing electricity. There is another theft method - connecting a powerful transformer, but only specialists steal electricity, so you are unlikely to be able to catch an attacker in hot pursuit.
Where to go for help?
If you managed to find out that someone is engaged in theft, then the first thing we recommend is to solve this problem using conversation, as to prove the fact of theft is quite difficult. The same connection to your outlet can be decided by the fact that the attackers will dump the blame on the previous owners of the apartment or on another private electrician who allegedly was repairing the wiring and could mess up something. However, if you call an electrician and he really detects the theft, you need to proceed as follows:
- Write a statement to the management company so that it periodically performs checks.
- Contact energy sales.
- Upon arrival of a specialist who will check the fact of theft, draw up an act, as well as photograph the evidence in the presence of witnesses and collect signatures from them (it will not hurt, although it does not always help).
- Contact the court and the prosecutor.
By the way, electricians detect the theft of electricity not only by visual inspection, but also by special devices, such as “Search” or “Stork”.
What will be the fine?
That's all I wanted to tell you about how to find out that neighbors are stealing electricity and what to do in this case. Remember that as a result of someone’s manipulations you may become a victim of electric shock or you will simply overpay, because theft at the common house level in an apartment building will increase the fee for common house needs. Total, the stolen 400 kW will be divided between all neighbors.
It will be useful to read: